Saturday, January 8, 2011

Commuting

Been there, done that, NEVER again!!
For the first time in three years I'm commuting to work.  Not just the five minute hop, skip, jump from my house to the ferry dock, but actually planning to leave early to get to work on time, because my job is now an hour away.  There are so many people I work with that would say, "Suck it up, I'm commuting EVERY day for HOURS at a time."  I know this, and I also know they're crazy.  I, however, am doing it out of need and not exactly by choice.  The people who CHOOSE to work and commute far from home are nuts.  There are several people I work with who have the option of working at a port that's just 10 or 15 minutes away from their home yet they'd rather drive over an hour for the SAME job, just a different location.  That's just something that I don't really understand when it means that they spend less time with their loved ones.  I've done that kind of commute before and it's awful.  You're tired and cranky and wondering what the traffic is going to be like.  Then there's the cost of gas.  THE GAS!  No thanks, I'll take a job that's as close to home as possible. 
My commute. I will take this any day over an hour or more on the freeway.

It's only been a week for me and the commute is already taking a toll on my sleep and time with the husband and kid.  I miss the downtime at home already.  I am, however, very thankful that my commute is via ferry boat.  A 5 minute drive from home to the dock, driving or walking on, then relaxing for an hour is truly not much to whine about. 



No comments: